Sat, Nov 05|
Live over Zoom
Making Herbal Preparations
Support your health with homemade herbal remedies, all year long. This is a self paced, 9-month course with one live, online group session per month.
Time & Location
Nov 05, 2022, 2:00 PM EDT – Aug 05, 2023, 4:00 PM EDT
Live over Zoom
About the Event
With each season, different health challenges arise. For example, we see an increase in colds and flu viruses in the winter and a rise in seasonal allergies in the spring. In this course, we will take a seasonal approach to herbal studies, making preparations that are effective for each season's unique health challenges You'll also create your own herbal reference book, complete with recipes and other useful info that you can refer to when the need arises.
For beginners, this is a wonderful, hands-on way to learn the basics. Experienced herbalists will expand their knowledge while increasing their confidence in working with herbs and creating their own formulas.
Classes meet over Zoom on the first Saturday of each month from 2:00-4:00 PM ET, starting on November 5th, 2022. Each live session will be recorded so you'll have access to the replay in case you have to miss a live session. Join the course in progress for a reduced price and receive access to recorded classes you missed!
What will you learn in this class?
- Learn how to make herbal preparations such as infusions, tinctures, infused oils, and vinegar to support good health through each season.
- Acquire simple, effective, and tasty herbal recipes each month --and learn how to create your own.
- Gather botanical data on some of the most useful and commonly available medicinal plants and learn to identify them.
- Create your own herbal reference book, complete with recipes, materia medica, folklore, and other data.
- Learn how to select, harvest, and wildcraft herbs in a way that is ecologically sustainable.
- Learn how to process, dry and store herbs, as well as how to judge their quality and freshness.
- Deepen your understanding of how plants affect the different systems of the body.
- Take quizzes to test your knowledge.
- Receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course.
November 5th - Lesson One: Getting Started, Herbs for Fall. Hands-on: Make an Herbal Infusion.
December 3rd - Lesson Two: Herbs for Winter Part 1: Herbal syrups. Hands-on: Make Elderberry Syrup.
January 7th - Lesson Three: Herbs for Winter Part 2: Herbal vinegar. Hands-on: Make Fire Cider.
February 4th - Lesson Four: Herbs for Winter Part 3. Herbal-infused oils. Hands-on: Make an Herbal Infused Oil for the Skin.
March 4th - Lesson Five: Herbs for Spring Part 1. Spring Tonics. Hands-on: Make a Spring Oxymel.
April 1st - Lesson Six: Herbs for Spring Part 2. Seasonal Allergies. Hands-on: Make a Spring Allergy Formula.
May 6th - Lesson Seven: Herbs for Spring Part 3: The Herbal First Aid Kit. Hands-on: Make a First Aid Salve.
June 3rd - Lesson Eight: Herbs for Summer Part 1: Tinctures and Glycerites. Hands-on: Make a Natural Insect Repellant.
July 1st - Lesson Nine: Herbs for Summer Part 2: Harvesting and Wildcrafting Herbs. Hands-on: Make a Flower Essence.
July 29th - Lesson Ten: Herbs for Summer Part 3: Drying, processing, and storing herbs. Hands-on: Make Solar and Lunar Infusions.